1) Thanks to DigiCape (South Africa's largest independent Apple retailer) for the generous discount on our brilliant new iPhone, which made staying in touch on the road an absolute joy!
2) A special thanks to the following people who have been so kind as to provide us with free or discounted accommodation during our trek through the Karoo:
* the Ben Marais Caravan Park in Humansdorp
* Handrie at Die Plaaswerf outside Kareedouw - a stunning Langkloof 'kuierplek' (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Elize at Die Kraaltjie Guest House and Caravan Park outside Joubertina - this place is an institution among Langkloof travellers (email@example.com)
* Janine at Louterwater Estate at Louterwater between Joubertina and Uniondale - a haven of tranquility on a gorgeous apple farm (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Peter and Sheila, for opening up their home and hearts to us at Haarlem
* Norman and Sue at Kammanassie Backpackers in Uniondale - a great and friendly Klein Karoo establishment (email@example.com)
* Florence at Louvain Guest Farm between Uniondale and Oudtshoorn - a beautiful spot for a breakaway or wedding (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Marietha at Zebra Lodge between George and Oudtshoorn - experience true old-world charm (0836323780)
* Ilse at Karoo Soul in Oudtshoorn - cool and upmarket accommodation for the discerning backpacker (email@example.com)
* Elana at Bouganvillea Backpackers in Calitsdorp - a laid-back and comfortable base for exploring SA's port capital (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Nealle and Dwayn at Barn 62 Backpackers at Amalienstein between Calitzdorp and Ladismith -a fun new pub and backpackers in the middle of nowhere (email@example.com)
* Gerda at Elandsvlei just outside Ladismith - true farmstyle hospitality on a working farm right next to town (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Frieda at Warmwaterberg Spa between Ladismith and Barrydale - the best-kept holiday secret in the Klein-Karoo (email@example.com)
* Karen at Barrydale Backpackers in Barrydale - a vibrant and upmarket new addition to the backpacker circuit (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Jodi at Akkerboom Country Cottages between Barrydale and Montagu - a stunning and tranquil retreat in the mountains (email@example.com)
* Wayne and Kirstin at The Mystic Tin and Karoo Brew(ery) in Montagu - a really great backpackers full of character, and Wayne's lovely home-brew to boot (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Lynda at Robertson Backpackers in Robertson - an R62 backpacking institution (email@example.com)
* Neil and Elize at Da Rooms in Worcester - nice, centrally located accommodation, with friendly and helpful hosts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Mattie and Adri at Cummings Guesthouse in Wellington - a truly welcoming and hospitable establishment in the friendly town of Wellington (email@example.com)
* Margot and Frank at BergzIcht Guesthouse in Malmesbury - personal and very hospitable accommodation in the heart of the Swartland (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* Barbara and John at Daisyfield Guesthouse in Darling - a gem of a guesthouse, where you get treated like royalty (email@example.com)
3) Food for body and soul were provided by many kind people along the way. Three cheers to:
* The unknown truckdriver outside Joubertina, for 6 fresh, ice-cold apples by the roadside
* Peter and Sheila, for a hearty stew and ice-cold beer in Haarlem
* Norman and Sue, for a delicious chicken braai in Uniondale
* the couple between Calitzdorp and Ladismith, for the grapes (and medical supplies)
* Mev de Vries, for the wonderful water suckers and juice en route to Barrydale
* Stuart Byrne, for coffee, wine and a personally delivered Wimpy meal by the roadside outside Montagu
* Wayne, for his smooth, home-brewed ale in Montagu
* Robert, for a lovely restaurant dinner in Worcester
* Farmer Riaan on the road outside Worcester, for the bag of dried fruit from his farm stall
* Barbara and John, for a magnificant braai, some great wines and breakfast in Darling.
* Pieter, Jacques, Pierre and the two Marelize's, for the great braai and chats after the finish at Yzerfontein.
4) Thanks to everyone on Facebook who joined our group, for your messages and support. You provided invaluable entertainment and encouragement along the way.
5) To everyone en route who waved, hooted and stopped for a chat - thank you!!
6) To our concerned mothers, for worrying about us all the way.
7) A special thanks to Nico and Ida, for popping in for a visit 4 days before the finish, for fetching us at the end and for good company and lodging after the end of the trek.
Posted from Blogium for iPhone